Tuesday, May 03, 2005

WHO: Elder Abuse by daughters-in-law

World Health Organization (WHO) report - Elder Abuse

MISSING VOICES
In India, there is a law that is intended to protect daughters-in-law from abusive in-laws. A daughter-in-law can go to the police station and lay a complaint that she is being abused by her in-laws, and the in-laws are arrested on her word alone. However, the focus group participants reported that some daughters-in-law are using this law as a form of elder abuse, by making false police reports. In general, participants stressed that the lack of a caring attitude by daughters-in-law was a major problem. (India)

CLICK HERE for the complete report.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bharat said...

section 498a

dowry laws
misuse of 498a
dowry problem
dowry evil
dowry India
dowry 498a
domestic violence
harassed men
elder abuse india
498a urban india
bride burning
feminism India
feminism 498a
feminism dowry
women 498a
stop dowry
girl 498a
bailable 498a

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Positive article in TOI
....
A small murmur had started around the room. One of the men decided to state the obvious — "I am a man. I have never experienced any gender discrimination". Everybody seemed to agree. "I will give an example", said the male resource person. "My father died when I was 10. Despite having a working mother, the mantle of the head of family fell on me. I missed out on a childhood — I became a parent". A reflective silence descended on the room. "I wanted to be an engineer, but family liabilities forced me to take the first job I found". "I had to give up my dream of becoming a classical dancer because men are not supposed to do it". "I sometimes want to cry, but cannot because men are not supposed to". As the resource person read out the various slips collected, the men became acutely aware that in an insidious way the gender stereotyping and framework worked against them also. I came back home an enlightened person. Sometimes, it can be tough to be a man too.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home